Tuesday, November 21, 2006

My Soapboxes

A few years ago, before we moved apart, a friend and I had these moments where we would get on our soapboxes and vent our frustrations on any subject that was happening at the moment. She would actually stand on something up off the floor: coffee tables, sofas, etc. They would be performed in such a way that by the end of each episode we would actually be splitting a gut laughing. It was a great stress relief. I enjoyed those moments and those memories keep bringing a smile to my face.

In a figurative way I want to get on my soapbox. My most recent soapboxes to myself include: education and respect. Currently, I'm a substitute teacher and still looking for a full-time teaching gig where I live. While I have been a substitute teacher some of these students that I interact with have just appalled me! I have been given such disrespect by some of these students that if I was their parent they would be grounded for the rest of their life! When I was still in k-12 grades, if we gave anyone disrespect, regular teacher or not, we would have been given the wrath of God! I don't know where this rising generation gets the idea that they can just do whatever they feel and get away with it. Don't get me wrong there are great young people around. It seems that the others are getting so much more attention recently and in greater numbers. It's just really frustrating to see these kids to act in such disregard for adult members of society.

On a brighter note. I think education is such a great thing. I can't stop learning. Either in a lecture hall or the classroom of life. I like to think of myself as a sponge for information, whether or not if I can regurgitate it at a certain moment later on. Learning should never stop. What a stale world this would be if learning didn't progress and imagination stopped.

Sigh. I think that is all for now. Thank you world and thank you soapbox!

No comments: